United States Naval Academy
The United States Naval Academy has served as the undergraduate college for all Navy trainees since 1845. Visitors enter at the Armel-Leftwich Visitor Center that houses the gift shop, exhibits and is where guided tours begin! The United States Naval Academy is located just a 15-minute drive from the Comfort Inn Hotel Bowie, and is easily accessible from US-50.
As you stop at the Visitor Center, information specialists welcome you to view a 12 minute film and take a guided walking tour of the yard with a professional, certified guide. But before you head out, enjoy the exhibits that include:
- Graduates in Space – features the Freedom 7 space capsule flown into space in 1961 by Naval Academy graduate Alan B. Shepard, Jr. (Class of 1945).
- Sample Midshipman’s Room
- Original figurehead of Tamanend from the USS Maryland
- Model of the USS Maryland
- Exhibit on John Paul Jones, famous Revolutionary war naval hero who is buried in the crypt beneath the U.S. Naval Academy Chapel
Your guide will lead your walking tour so you can experience life on the Yard. Catch noon meal formation as the Brigade of Midshipmen forms for uniform inspection before lunch. There are a variety of tours offered:
- Historical Tour – Highlights life at the U.S. Naval Academy past and present. Tour includes Lejeune Hall, Bancroft Hall, Tecumseh Court, Herndon Monument, Chapel (when open), and crypt of John Paul Jones. One hour and 15 minutes.
- Tour & Tea – Special tour of the Academy and Museum with tea at the Officers’ and Faculty Club. Minimum of 16 guests. Tour begins at 1:30 pm.; tea served at 3:00 pm. Only available Monday through Wednesday.
- Military Reunion Tour – Designed for those who participated in the U.S. military operations. Features include chapel (when open) and crypt of John Paul Jones. Tour includes audio-visual presentation and walking tour. Two hours 30 minutes.
- Jewish Chapel & Levy Center Tour – Center named for Jewish naval officer, Commodore Uriah P. Levy, who held command positions for Presidents Monroe, Jackson, Tyler and Lincoln. Levy restored Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello.
For tour hours and more information, click here to visit the USNA Guide Service website.
US Navy Football
As fall approaches, football is in the air! Don’t miss a home game in Annapolis – stay at the Comfort Inn Conference Center Bowie for comfortable and convenient hotel accommodations and excellent service when in town for a Navy football game.
Click here for the latest Navy football schedule and news!
The Comfort Inn Conference Center Bowie is a short drive via US Route 50 from the Navy’s famous campus, making it the ideal choice of hotels when visiting students at the Academy or touring the campus. All guests at our Bowie hotel enjoy an extensive complimentary “Your Morning Breakfast” hot breakfast buffet prepared in our restaurant kitchen each morning, complimentary high-speed wireless Internet access, our on-site outdoor pool, exercise room. Our in-hotel restaurant, Chessie’s Chesapeake Grille and Bar, serves delicious American cuisine and cocktails every day. Visit our Map & Directions page for driving directions from the hotel.
Whether you’re visiting the United States Naval Academy on business, visiting a student, or exploring this historic campus, we invite you to book your stay with us at the Comfort Inn Conference Center Bowie. Make reservations through this website to secure the lowest available rates, guaranteed! All reservations made through this website are also eligible to receive points towards the Choice Privileges® guest rewards program.